Any time you buy feminized seeds; your dealing with an inherent nature of hermi genetics; To produce a feminized seeds it takes breeding a hermaphrodite plant with a female plant. By nature monoecious and dioeccious colonies of the wild were dominated either by a hermi as the acting male or a true male as the male of the colony. When breeders begin getting landrace strains and crossing them they used males to rid of the hermi-actring male in monoecious genetics ( Sativa were the most commonly found monoecious colonies in the wild that had hermi’s as the acting male plant ).
So when you produce a feminized seed; you are producing a seed with hermaphrodite genetics; Now things get complex, here’s a page I wrote to the university on the subject matter and I put it on our website in case you’d like to raise your kung foo up another belt on this subject matter.
Now, how does this affect you our customer “ The Grower “ ? Well, I like to think of feminized seeds as “ Ladies lady who is super feministic and fragile with emotions “ kind of like the baby sister in the family; yell at her to harshly and she breaks down crying and gets very emotional. Same thing with feminized seeds; we have various classes \ stratus’s of generations from S1 , S2, S3 etc .. higher you go the easier they stress and produce hermi pollen sacs. So at NukeHeads we deal exclusively with S1’s
To give the best in class feminized seeds to our customers.
To super reduce hermi’s the approach would be this. 1. Grow REG SEEDS where seeds will produce either a true male, or female and grab the best female you find 2. Turn that female you chose into a mother plant and take tons of clones off of her 3. Grow the clones
Growing females clones taken from a female that was produced from a reg seed and not from a fem seed reduces the stressors that feminzed seeds are inheritantly prone to possess. When buying feminized seeds from any place, from any where, you are throwing dice in some cases in dealing with a hermaphrodite.
Most Common things to cause stresses which leads to a feminized seed growing into a hermaphrodite:
- PH imbalance or heavy PH swings in the soil and a grower not using a proper soil PH meter to keep soil at a 6.0 – 6.5 most of the time soil PH drops into low 5’s and dangerous 4’s and the plant will quickly hermaphrodite
- Second most common issue with plants hermaphroditing, would be a failed dial timer, causing erratic lighting cycles. The equivalent would be me turning on the light while you sleep through odd times of the night not allowing you a full quality deep sleep, and doing this for days or weeks on end. Eventually you’ll be super stressed out. So check your dial timer settings, make sure the timer is engaging and working properly. Lastly, it takes only 10 photons of 1 quantum or 1 mole if you go molar, to cause a plant to begin waking up and growing. So any small ray of light hitting your plants when they sleep within most visible wavelengths will cause the plants phytochromes to have binary changes and cause plants to certainly stress into hermaphrodites.
- Too much nutrient toxicity if your plants leaves are super dark green and your not flushing the root zone of the soil grow or changing your hydroponics reservoir to reduce nutrient concentration we have found this to highly stress a plant because it tends to BURN THE ROOTS causing plants massive stress.
- Dehydration , do not allow the plants to completely dry out this can certainly trigger them into a protection mode when stoma guard cells close while the plant wants to synthesize light but it won’t because it detects no humidity, or moisture this too is massive stress levels and the plant may trigger into Rhodilization to save it’s species and begin producing seeds.
- Rhodilization a process of a Marijuana Female producing her own pollen sacs and asexually producing seeds because she went extended into growth and approached “ Dying “. Harvest at the proper times via trichome coloration’s, and either chop her down or re-veg her to prevent this from occurring.
- Humidity and Vapor Pressure Deficits , when there is not enough humidity some strains will hermaphrodite
- Excessive Defoliation of fan leaves and branches. This would be the THIRD most common reason plants hermi . Far to many times growers remove too much all at once causing plants massive stress levels. For feminized seeds we suggest removing a SINGLE BRANCH once a week per plant while in veg. This gives you typically 4 branch removals per month which is plenty, and is a low stress approach.
- While mother nature is perfect in it’s imperfections some seeds from a batch of seeds will simply be inherently prone to hermaphrodite despite the best of breeding practices. It’s also seen in human beings, the animal kingdom etc.. Where a human is born without a limb, or has a difference in bodily proportionality and symetry because there was a predisposition in the gene that expressed this change; with feminized seeds there will simply be the case of a seed or two that will hermi yet you did everything as a grower proper and yet it still hermi’d. There is simply nothing the grower or seed bank can do to prevent this; this is the power of mother nature. As a seed bank; there is action we can take to do our best to give a stronger outcome of quality female growth to give the grower the best odds against a hermi plant.
- You chemically induce the plant into hermaphrodite using Colloidal silver, or it got just the smallest amount of mist sprayed on it when using our NukeHeads Fem Seed Spray ( Buy it here if you want to make your own fem seeds )
LAST BUT NOT LEAST AS YOU CAN SEE ASIDE FROM #8 THE MAJORITY OF A PLANT TURNING HERMAPHRODITE IS CAUSED BY THE ENVIRONMENT WHICH IS UNDER THE CONTROL OF THE GROWER. SO YOU AS THE GROWER WILL NEED TO IDENTIFY IF YOU HAVE AN ANOMALY IN YOUR OPERATION CAUSING HERMI’S ESPECIALLY IF YOUR GETTING MORE THAN ONE HERMI THE ODDS ARE MOST LIKELY SOMETHING YOU ARE DOING, NOT DOING, OR NOT FINDING THAT IS CAUSING YOUR PLANTS TO TURN HERMAPHRODITE !